- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced ( + coconut or olive oil)
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, diced (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté diced onion in about 2 teaspoons oil until translucent and soft. Add diced sweet potato and spices (all are optional). Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups vegetable broth and bring mixture to a low boil on medium high heat, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer. Add quinoa, beans, corn and cinnamon stick; cover and cook for 30 minutes more and until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chili is thick. Once chili is done cooking, stir in additional cup of vegetable broth. Taste and add more seasonings as needed.
- As with all chili and soup recipes, this is best when prepared the night before or has time to sit before serving for a few hours so the flavors can really shine.
- Remove cinnamon stick and serve with fresh cilantro, lime juice, avocado, chips, non-dairy sour cream and/or cheese, as preferred.